Our core tasks
Organisation of national contests
On behalf of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, the KJF organises three national media competitions:
- Deutscher Jugendfotopreis (German Youth Photography Award) – National competition for photography and imaging.
- Deutscher Jugendvideopreis (German Youth Video Award) – National competition for video and animation.
- Video der Generationen (Video of Generations) – The National competition that brings generations together.
- Deutscher Multimediapreis mb21 (German Multimedia Award) – National competition for multimedia-based projects
Age-appropriate information on children's and teen films online
- The Top Videonews internet magazine contains up-to-date information on films on a weekly basis and advice on DVDs for different age groups.
- Kinderfilmwelt (World of Children's Films) is a multi-media platform offering information and learning tools on everything to do with children's films for children aged between 6 and 12 years.
Educational work and events
- Development of contemporary concepts and strategies of media education in reaction to changes in society and media technology and as a way of making media available for the different fields of educational activity.
- Events with a focus on movie education, media literacy and cultural education – alone or in cooperation with other sponsoring organisations.
- Continuing education and advanced training on media work with children and adolescents.
- Publications related to the different fields of action in media education and film distribution.
- Initiation and analysis of model projects to promote media literacy.
- Cooperation with national and international institutions that pursue similar goals, such as the Bundesvereinigung Kulturelle Kinder- und Jugendbildung e.V. (Federal Association for the Cultural Education of Children and Adolescents) or the Bundesverband Jugend und Film e.V. (Federal Association for Youth and Film).
- Representation of the Federal Republic of Germany in the respective international associations (such as the Centre International du Film pour l'enfance et la Jeunesse (CIFEJ)).